Sunday, September 23, 2012

I did it!!!

This past Sunday was my first half marathon. I wasn't planning on running it, due to a foot injury I got. I was pretty bummed out about it. I convinced my Mom to let me run a few miles of it with her. We decided I'd run about three miles in the beginning and then stop. I kept debating on just running the whole thing and saying forget my foot, or we'll see how it feels...I ended up crossing the finish line!!!! :)  I hadn't been keeping up with my training, due to the injury so it had been about 6-8 weeks since I ran long distance. I never expected the run to be so difficult. I knew it would probably be hard, but I didn't know it would be that hard! I was starting to get tired about half way through the race. I was getting really bad cramps, so bad it was hard to breathe, and it hurt. It hurt so bad, and I felt like I was struggling so much, I wanted to cry.  We ended up walking for a bit and that helped. After that my legs really started hurting, it felt like my legs were made of metal. They didn't want to move. I felt like I was running so slow. Towards mile 9 and 10 I just wanted to be done. I couldn't wait for it to be over. Every mile felt like an eternity. My Mom kept telling me to focus on something else, I tried and it was really hard..all I wanted to do was walk. There were a few inclines through out the race towards the end and I felt like I was dying. I kept pushing through all the way to the end. Once I turned the corner to the finish line was something I can never explain. It was the greatest feeling. Everyone cheering you on, seeing the finish line..the music, everyone screaming. I had an adrenaline rush and ran as fast as I could through the finish. My body hurt so bad when I was done. Thankfully my Mom massaged me. I felt so awesome after I finished, even though I hadn't finished as fast as I'd like. I am so proud of myself for accomplishing this after not training for such a long time. My Mom took care of me the whole way and stuck by my side the entire time. I'm so thankful for her. I had so much fun running this race with her even though I felt horrible most of the way. Words can't even explain how thankful I am for her, and how much I appreciate what she did for me that day. I really enjoy running with my Mom. I look forward to our morning runs together. As tough as this race was, I can't wait to do it again (and feel good). I know next time it won't be nearly as hard. Hopefully one day I will even run a full marathon with her!

A special note to my Mom:
Mom, you are amazing in so many ways. :)  You are so inspiring, and such a strong person. I am forever thankful for how much you helped me. I'm not sure I could have made it with out you. I've really enjoyed running together, and hope we can run many more races together. It's so awesome to experience something like that with you. I appreciate all the help and support you gave me that day. I will never forget that day! You were there for me when I needed you. You helped me cross that finish line, and you were with me every step of the way. You ran extremely slow with me, when I needed to. I know this was so hard due to my lack of training, but I did it anyways because you were there to help me. Words can't describe how happy I was to have you there. I can't wait to run many more races with you. It's such a cool bonding experience. Thank you again so much for everything you did for me that day.

I finally got my pictures from race day, unfortunately I have to order them in order to use them. I have some cell phone pics so we'll use those instead!

 I got this awesome picture to display, that I am very proud of :)
 Happy to be finished!
 This picture reminds me why I hate my legs so much..chicken legs!!!
 I think this was mile 3 or 4 when I was still happy :)
 Getting close to the finish, Zac hopped in and ran for a bit with me. So happy for his support this day

 Can you guess which one is my Mom? She is short like me!
I had to walk quite a lot due to pain and being tired, but all that matters is that I finished!

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Thank you for making me cry. :). You did a fantastic job and we'll definitely do more races together. Love you lots!! You're a tough cookie when you need to be.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...